[XviD-devel] Re: Better defaults encoding options in MEncoder

Guillaume POIRIER guillaume.poirier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr
Thu Apr 7 15:09:41 CEST 2005

Guillaume POIRIER <guillaume.poirier <at> etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr> writes:

> Hi there,
> On this post:
> http://edu.bnhof.de/pipermail/xvid-devel/2004-September/004546.html ,
> Edouard Gomez seemed not satisfied with the default settings of XviD in
> MEncoder.
> Basically, the problem was that at that time, there were no way to unset
> a particular encoding option.
> Well, this problem has been fixed for a while now, before the -pre6
> release actually, so all XviD "option" has a "nooption" counterpart.
> It's therefore now possible to change default settings to the one you like.
> Either post a patch here or on MPlayer ML, or give me a list of them
> here, and I'll make sure that they'll make it into MPlayer's CVS.

Well, it seem my offer hasn't triggered a torrent of cheerful replies, but
that's OK.

Looking at the vfw front-end, it looks like the options that need to be changed
would be:
Motion search estimation: 6 (Ultra High)
VHQ mode: 1 (mode decision)
Use chroma motion: on
trellis: on
min quants for I, P, B: 1 (instead of 2)
keyframe boost: 10
I'm not too sure for the following options as the value O might have a special
meaning, like "default value".
vbr_kfreduction (=I-frames closer than... (frames) :1 (instead of 0)
vbr_kfthreshold (=... are reduced by (%)) :20 (instead of 0)

Other than that, everything looks the same

Regards,
Guillaume