[XviD-devel] Re: Better defaults encoding options in MEncoder

Guillaume Poirier poirierg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 11:30:19 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Apr 9, 2005 1:08 AM, Michael Militzer <michael at xvid.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quoting Guillaume POIRIER <guillaume.poirier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr>:
>
> > Looking at the vfw front-end, it looks like the options that need to be
> > changed
> > would be:
> > Motion search estimation: 6 (Ultra High)
> > VHQ mode: 1 (mode decision)
> > Use chroma motion: on
> > trellis: on
> > min quants for I, P, B: 1 (instead of 2)
> > keyframe boost: 10
> > I'm not too sure for the following options as the value O might have a
> > special
> > meaning, like "default value".
> > vbr_kfreduction (=I-frames closer than... (frames) :1 (instead of 0)
> > vbr_kfthreshold (=... are reduced by (%)) :20 (instead of 0)
>
> The settings look ok. Also, the value '0' has no special meaning but is
> really a 'zero' afaik...

Thanks,
I committed a similar patch yesterday, as I was getting impatient :-).
I did not change the minimum quant (quant 1 is padding for a lot of
people) as well as vbr settings. They worked fine with me so far,
that's why I didn't change them.

If ever I'm wrong about any of that, please speak-up.

Regards,
Guillaume