[XviD-devel] [Fwd: Data partitioning for encoder]

sigdrak sigdrak at free.fr
Sun Apr 24 15:33:02 CEST 2005

Hello,

again free.fr's FTP is acting _once again_ flacky and the mailing list
is rejecting 10+K mails. So the corresponding patch is waiting for some
admins to mend their stuff.

Skal wrote:
 > 	Don't under-estimate the appetite for weird features ;) As soon
 > 	as there's any new option popping up, people *will* use it. Even
 > 	just for the fun of trying it.

OK... Guys, you'll increase your filesize by 0.1% with DP! I think I've
just get rid of 99% of those daring people. :-)

 > 	Anyway, i've tried your patch, and it seems you forgot to
 > 	include some updated header file(s). Bitstream.c isn't

Please find attached a new patch. It was quite problematic to extract it
from my working VP/DP stuff, so:
- it builds OK
- it compresses OK (mplayer manages to decode DP)
- the DP-able decoder is now integrated in this patch, but is for some
reason failing sometimes (next patch will hopefully solve this)
- it also integrates an error check on AC VLC decoding (run/index could
produce reads outside of the 64 coeffs array on corrupted streams)

 > 	Otherwise, the patch seems ok. I'll later commit it
 > 	protected with some '#ifdef EXPERIMENTAL_DATA_PARTITIONING',
 > 	so it won't interfere with the rest until proven ok.

Hoping you'll see this one in time...

 >>This is indeed the next thing in DP. But they aren't mandatory.
 > 	IIRC, the standardized Profile where DP is required also
 > 	makes support of RVLC mandatory...

Ah probable, also they package this in "Error resilience". Anyway, the
encoder can set this feature as not used, so the XviD decoder matches
its encoder.

 > 	Indeed. This is rather historical: XviD's main use
 > 	is storage, not really an error-prone channel.

I think that's the funniest part of what's not yet done in XviD. For
now, I'd prefer finishing the basic ER stuff, and possibly introduce
some more plugin/API changes to make it usable. For instance,
Profiles/Levels enforce videopacket sizes - and this is absolutely not
handled by my code.

 > Skal, "je passe sous un tunnel, ca va coup.." ;)

Sorry, not enough FEC to correct the missing part :p