[XviD-devel] lambda patch

Radek Czyz radoslaw at syskin.cjb.net
Thu Dec 8 08:09:06 CET 2005

Hi everyone,

I finally found some time to tweak lambdas and mode decisions back.
Effect:

- slowdown introduced by Michael's patch remains, but is now translated
to PSNR gain at all quants, so it's worth it.

- I changed lambdas to be linear for low quants too. I understand
Michael's reasoning for lower-than-psnr-best values (and probably agree
with the theory). However, I believe that such HVS experiments belong to
1.2.-127 tree, and need some testing. With linear quants everywhere, at
least we can explain slowdown as PSNR-boosting.

- I tweaked constants for much better VHQ 0 mode decision.

Patch is short, I put it online at http://syskin.is.dreaming.org/lambda.txt

I strongly think this is the best thing to do for 1.1.0, and the best
starting point for 1.2.-127.

Comments? If no one writes anything (why that crossed my mind? lol) I'll
commit to both cvs head and 1.1.0. If you disagree, say so now.

Regards,
Radek