[XviD-devel] lambda patch

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Thu Dec 8 10:30:19 CET 2005

Hi Radek,

indeed, it's a short patch ;) I have no objections against it: it's
reasonable to give a higher penalty to 8x8 modes, especially at VHQ=0.
Also, I have no problem with switching back to a pure linear lambda
scaling also for the low quants. As said, it won't make much of a
difference either way.

As a side note: I've also ran some tests recently because of the lambdas.
However, aside from 8x8/16x16 mode decision it also seemed to me that
inter/intra decision isn't working perfectly with VHQ=0. On some sequences
I had large gains from lowering the value of MV16_INTER_BIAS, e.g. to 400.
You may want to give it a try if it works for your test sequences too...

Regards,
Michael