[XviD-devel] multithreaded pvop-ME

Bryan Mayland bmayland at leoninedev.com
Sun Dec 18 17:06:31 CET 2005

Radek Czyz wrote:
> How it works: each thread gets every second (third, fourth etc,
> depending on # of threads) row of macroblocks. It keeps record of how
> many MBs has already been processed in any line, and it also has
> access to the same record for the line above it.
    I wrote something similar, except I do it where any thread can do
any block based on the requirement that the topright and left block are
already done.  Here's my numbers on an X2 4600+ (gotta love these
processors).
Clip is MPEG2 640x480, encoding to no b-frames, VHQ4
Original: 33:26  (50% utilization)
BryyMT: 20:08 (83% utilization)
So we both see the same 39% improvement it seems.  Mine requires a mutex
and a signal though.