[XviD-devel] XviD-1.1-Beta 1 bugs summary

Dirk Knop dknop at stud.uni-goettingen.de
Mon Feb 21 14:00:25 CET 2005

Hi all,

for fixing some bugs and make the progress to 1.1-beta2 a little faster,
I'll sum up what I read as reports over at doom9's forum until now:

- GMC has a bug. With very much motion, some blocks get totally
displaced. The issue is the same no matter if decoded with libavcodec or
xvid.
- Interlaced decoding got broken. Decoding interlaced streams encoded
with 1.1-beta1 with libavcodec(also with xvid-1.0.3) doesn't show this
problem, so it must be XviD's 1.1-beta1 decoder.
- Some issue with cartoon mode and bvhq (well, cruncher may report it
better :) ): some white blocks sometimes floating around within high motion.
- Vfw calculator: file sizes >2GB cause a variable overflow somewhere
resulting in wrong results.
- Not a real bug: in colour space conversion we seem to use nearest
neighbour-upsampling when upsampling chroma. This should be, as xvid is
seen as high quality codec out there in the world, interpolated. Maybe
make it switchable for speed reasons. (The mmx code makes me dizzy %) )

I think those are the major problems with beta1 so far.

Maybe we should report into this "thread" if we make any progress, so
people can see that XviD is still alive and kickin'? :-)

Best regards
Koepi