[XviD-devel] [CVS commit] Linux amd64 preliminary support

Guillaume POIRIER guillaume.poirier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr
Sun Jan 9 21:47:19 CET 2005

Hi,
Le vendredi 07 janvier 2005 à 15:54 +0100, Edouard Gomez a écrit :
> Selon Guillaume POIRIER <guillaume.poirier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr>:
> > > You can test that simply letting the configure script doing its job, and
> > > then hand editing the resulting platform.inc file, changing AS+nasm to
> > > AS=yasm
> > >
> > I guess I can do that if ever I find the time to do so. BTW, other than
> > benches, do you only expect bug reports, or do I miss something?
>
> I just wanted amd64 users to tell me if something had obviously gone through all
> my testing... i can do all sort of testing, but that never replaces the real
> user experience...

Due to a lack of time, I haven't had time to check out for artefacts or
any kind of bugs in x86-64's XviD port, but here are some news regarding
encoding speed.

As stated on the previous mail, the SSE code detection in MPlayer wasn't
working properly, so those instructions were disabled.

Here's the updated bench with SSE[1|2] activated, thanks to a patch
produced by Aurelien Jacobs. As you can see, x86-64 is really starting
to become appealing.

On x86-64
   Pure C     | XviD Edouard SIMD | lavc + SIMD [1]
Pass 1: 37fps | 78fps  SSE: 90fps | 82fps  SSE: 79fps
Pass 2: 11fps | 32fps  SSE: 36fps | 30fps  SSE: 30fps

On IA-32
   Pure C     | XviD Edouard SIMD | lavc + SIMD
Pass 1: 25fps | 80fps             | 74fps
Pass 2: 9fps  | 31fps             | 28fps

The same without filters:
-------------------------

On x86-64
   Pure C     | XviD Edouard SIMD | lavc + SIMD [1]
Pass 1:  N/A  | 45fps  SSE: 51fps | 45fps  SSE: 47fps
Pass 2:  N/A  | 14fps  SSE: 15fps | 12fps  SSE: 13fps

On IA-32
   Pure C     | XviD Edouard SIMD | lavc + SIMD
Pass 1: 10fps | 44fps             | 42fps
Pass 2: 3fps  | 13fps             | 11fps

[1]: According to MPlayer's developer Reimar Döffinger lavc uses
cpudetection based in the code in libavcodec/i386/cputest.c.
This should explain why lavc doesn't benefit much from the activation
of SSE in MPlayer.

Regards,
Guillaume