[XviD-devel] B-frames + AQ or frame-dropping

David Regev dregev at yucs.org
Sun Jul 3 05:42:34 CEST 2005

I have a few b-frame-related questions:

1. It seems that Adaptive Quantization does not get applied to b-frames. I
have verified this using celticdruid's most recent compile and ffdshow's
quantizer visualization. This was pointed out a year ago on Doom9's forum
<http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=514610#post514610>. I was
wondering if there are any plans for implementing such a feature in the
future (no necessarily for 1.1). Would it even be advantageous?

2. Before 1.0 was released, frame dropping was disabled for when b-frames
are enabled, due to N-VOP confusion (2004-04-04 14:07:00 GMT patch-4).
However, I believe that unpacked b-frames do not pose any compatibility
problems with frame drops (as implied by
http://edu.bnhof.de/pipermail/xvid-devel/2004-April/004105.html). Still,
unpacked b-frames and frame dropping cannot be used simultaneously. So,
would it be possible to re-enable frame dropping with unpacked b-frames?

3. On an unrelated, simpler note, could 24fps be added to the calculator?
(And while you're adding frame-rates, I believe some people would like
119.88fps as well.)

I know that #1 could be a lot of work, but I hope #2 and #3 could be
implemented in 1.1, if it's not too much of a hassle.

Thank you very much.