[XviD-devel] quality settings

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Thu Jun 30 10:08:56 CEST 2005

Hi,

quality 0: keyframes only, performs no motion estimation. (fastest)
quality 1: performs simple motion estimation at full-pixel accuracy only,
           just one motion vector per macroblock.
quality 2: like quality 1 plus performs motion estimation at half-pixel
           accuracy, which results in significantly higher picture quality.
quality 3: like quality 2 plus enables 'four vector mode'. Hence, not just
           one but also four motion vectors can be assigned to a macroblock
           in order to more accurately track motion and raise image quality.
quality 4: like quality 3 plus enables 'chroma motion estimation'. In all
           quality modes < 4, the motion estimation algorithm determines
           motion vectors based on the luminance image plane only whereas
           with chroma ME the chrominance information is considered also.
quality 5: like quality 4 plus enables 'trellis quantization', which is an
           R-D optimized quantization approach. Here, the dct coefficients
           are 'intelligently' quantized to yield the best trade-off
           between the introduced distortion and required bits for coding.
quality 6: like quality 5 plus enables R-D optimized AC prediction and
           extended search strategies. Here, the ME algorithm performs
           additional search steps to further improve the accuracy of the
           motion vectors. R-D optimized AC prediction enhances the quality
           of non-temporally predicted (INTRA) macroblocks. (slowest)

Rgds,
Michael