[XviD-devel] Hyperthreading and XviD

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Wed Mar 9 11:09:58 CET 2005

Hi.

I'm trying to add YUV-denoising to mp4live in MPEG4IP project
and it seems to work rather well (with XviD) when live encoding
an analogue source.

However, YUV-denoising (nonaccel, XMM and XMME) is rather
CPU intensive so with my current implementation, YUV-denoising
with XviD encoding of 480x576 at 25fps requires something
like a 6 GHz HT P4, so for now I have to do with smaller
video geometries.

Analyzing the load, I noticed that on a P4HT, the load on both
(virtual) processors is far from equal thus not exploiting
HT to the its limits.

I tried rewriting my code so the YUV-denoising ran in one thread
and XviD encoding in another thread, but I observed little
performance gain and little improvement in equal loading.

Now for my questions. Is there anyone here with MMX/MMXE-knowledge
that can confirm or deny that HT (Hyperthreading) means
next to nothing for an MMX/MMXE-intensive application because
MMX/MMXE is not hyperthreaded ?

Kind regards

--PMM