[XviD-devel] 8bit greyscale

Dark Sylinc dark_sylinc at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Mar 19 00:19:48 CET 2005

>So VfW support could be added without modifying
xvidcore. I just wonder
>if
>VfW supports 8-bit greyscale input at all. I only
know of 8-bit indexed
>RGB
>in VfW - but I'm no expert regarding the supported
VfW colorspaces. So
>even
>if a camera natively works in 8-bit greyscale mode,
the VfW driver may
>automatically convert the images to RGB...

>Michael

Plattform SDK documentation says that
HBITMAPINFOHEADER uses _only_
8-bit INDEXED (so grayscale images use pixels with
'0xfe' in this way:
pal[0xfe].red = pal[0xfe].blue = pal[0xfe].green =
0xfe )
This also applies BITMAPV4HEADER and BITMAPV5HEADER.
This are the three structs that VFW handles, so VFW
does not support
8-bit grayscale. Custom applications may force VFW
frontends
to whatever they want, but even so, there is no way to
tell the driver to use
8-bit grayscale instead of indexed)
Take in mind that XviD VFW frontend doesn't support
drawing. I don't know if
drawing routines may be in grayscale.... (despite the
input format)

Dark_Sylinc