[XviD-devel] stereo video streams

sage weil sage at newdream.net
Wed Mar 23 00:40:32 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to efficiently encode a pair of video streams from a
stereo camera.  A few obvious possibilities present themselves but are not
entirely ideal:

- Put frames side by side and encode as usual.  Macroblock searches won't
find similar blocks from the other camera with a localized search...

- Interleave left and right frames.  If xvid searches more than one frame
back then this would work reasonably well, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't?
And if it did the motion prediction would end up way off, resulting in
suboptimal performance...

Does anybody have any thoughts about what might be necessary in terms of
code changes to make this work well?

thanks-
sage