[XviD-devel] Questions on Quantization

Luca Piccarreta piccarre at elet.polimi.it
Thu Mar 24 14:56:55 CET 2005

Hi Skal,
don't be so frightened...
that 1 value on the 63th coefficient it's not visible... I don't have
floating
point iDCT here, but it should be something like a +1/16,-1/16 grid.
The objective should be "waking up" the iDCT as to avoid situations in which
small varying blocks are coded with some DCT coefficients, but the encoder
side
iDCT transforms to a null block...at the decoder side, another iDCT might
decode to a non null block, and after a while, very visible drifts appear.
(I can't really hope I was clear).
Actually, this situation is true only for very low QPs (1,2...)
If you come up with some numbers/results (I'm not sure about that 1/16), let
me know....
Ciao, Luca.