[XviD-devel] SSE2 on AMD64

Mark L mark_l512 at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 17:09:55 CEST 2005

--- Christoph Lampert <chl at math.uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2005, Martin Drab wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 8 May 2005, Dark Sylinc wrote:
> >
> > > Hi XviD:
> > > Is it true? I've heard that SSE on AMD64 have
> xmm0
> > > trough xmm15, instead of xmm7.
> > > Can anyone confirm that? Because if it's true,
> we may
> >
> > Yes, it is true.
> >
> > > be able to use more registers to reduce possible
> > > dependencies and improve speed.
> >
> > Sure! :-)
>
> Yes, but keep in mind that the additional registers
> are only available in
> true 64bit mode, not for 32bit OSes.
>
> gruel

  Intel also has their own 64-bit part to rival AMDs.
The same extra SSE registers exist in 64-bit mode.
They basically reverse engineered and AMD64 part to
make sure it was compatible.  To make things confusing
they are calling their support EM64T.  But most people
in the know call it AMD64 compatible.