[XviD-devel] SSE2 on AMD64

Mark L mark_l512 at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 17:39:21 CEST 2005

--- Jan Lucas <jan at lucas-berlin.de> wrote:
> Mark L schrieb:
> > Intel also has their own 64-bit part to rival
> AMDs. The same extra
> > SSE registers exist in 64-bit mode. They basically
> reverse engineered
> > and AMD64 part to make sure it was compatible.  To
> make things
> > confusing they are calling their support EM64T.
> But most people in
> > the know call it AMD64 compatible.
>
> Well, they didn't really have to reverse engineer it
> cause AMD had
> published the instruction set for ages and they had
> a patent exchange
> agreement where (among other patents) Intel received
> the rights to use
> AMD64 and AMD received the rights to use SSE2 or 3,
> I'm not sure whichone.
>
> 					Jan

  They couldn't make it AMD64 compatible without
reverse engineering the hardware.  Those "manuals"
give no where near the technical information you need
to make something AMD64 compatible.  AMD has been
reverse engineering Intel for years.  Centaur reverse
engineers both Intel and AMD.  This is the first time
I have heard of Intel having to reverse engineer a
competitors product.  I bet it was a tough pill to
swallow.  If you google for it, you will find news
articles about them reverse engineering AMD64.  I
remember reading the article about a year ago to a
year and a half ago.  That's a common misconception
about just needing the "manuals" to be able to add
hardware support for something.  Manuals don't provide
all the hardware information you need to implement it
in hardware.

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html