[XviD-devel] quant zone

karine.yviquel karine.yviquel at laposte.net
Fri May 13 10:55:20 CEST 2005

Hi,
I'm studying the xvid 2 pass rate control, but I don't understand what the quant zone is all about. If the same zone (same parameters) is used over the whole video, then what is the quant zone for ?
For exemple in the function: first_pass_scale_curve_internal(rc_2pass2_t *rc) Could you explain to me what you by mean when talking about "quant zones"  in the following code [taken from plugin_2pass2.c ligne 1171] :
{
(...)
/* don't forget to substract header bytes used in quant zones, otherwise we* counting them twice */
total_invariant -= rc->tot_quant_invariant;
/* We remove the bytes used by the fixed quantizer zones during first pass
* with the same quants, so we know very precisely how much that
* represents */
target = rc->target;
target -= rc->tot_quant;
(...)