[XviD-devel] [Fwd: Data partitioning for encoder]

sigdrak sigdrak at free.fr
Sun May 15 14:36:08 CEST 2005

Hello Skal,

Skal wrote:
> 	i've reviewed it, and it looks ok at first sight.
> 	*But* it (the 2nd version) also contains cosmetics
> 	changes i don't feel like committing right now in

I agree, though I didn't like much how it was written: a pain to track
what needs being deallocated for each error. Anyway, you can just create
a branch tag and merge back in eventually.

> 	the middle of a beta2. Moreover i've got some

This is understandable. Given the API changes, that would only bring
troubles.

> 	data-struct modifs to make to avoid passing 3
> 	bitstreams to some functions...

There's probably a cleaner way. BTW, ffmpeg does just like this.

I thought at some point that it would also allow for some tweaking
around with the different partitions, for instance (not following the
RFCs on that matter) giving higher priorities to first partition packets
for RTP  - in spite of the different partitions not being byte-aligned.

The way it's done is anyway very unoptimal and in particular may cause
buffer overruns when allocating too small buffers.

One could otherwise separate steps so that all of first partition is
written first, avoiding the concatenation. More on this in a following mail.

> (plus: it's Spring! Hard to sit in front of a computer in May;)

Guess what, it's raining cats, so I'm here answering you.

Regards,
sigdrak