[XviD-devel] hey I'm back :)

Radek Czyz radoslaw at syskin.cjb.net
Mon Nov 21 06:42:40 CET 2005

Hello everyone,

I have summer vacations now, FINALLY :) and this means I'm back to xvid
poking, with some fresh ideas and motivations.

First thing I'd like to do is release 1.1 final. How about we do this
without waiting? I was thinking that we commit GomGom's Sparse patch
(the pointer casting for fdct and idct is fugly, everything else is
fine), bump version strings and have it behind us.

Future work I want to do, in no particular order:

- xvidenc - a commandline executable like x264 has. It turns out there's
a demand for such executable, we already have a lot of code, and
everything else can be taken from x264

- pre-pass ME. During my recent work, I discovered that motion finding
over larger distances is often flawed and inefficient, and can be largly
improved by pre-pass. I'm going to try and see what happens.

- Kopernikus' variable-lambda code. I believe lambda (VHQ and trellis)
is the best way to modulate quality for all HVS applications. I want to
give it a chance ;)

- multithreaded code. I have several ideas how various parts of XviD can
be multithreaded, and I intend to implement them, if only to learn how.

- everything else that comes to my mind ;)

I'll start soon :)

Radek