[XviD-devel] HUGE ME regressions between beta1 and beta2

Radek Czyz radoslaw at syskin.cjb.net
Fri Nov 25 15:08:35 CET 2005

Hi everyone,

Apparently our testing community sucks ;))

There was a HUGE quality and speed regression between beta1 and beta2. I
narrowed it down to SAD-based ME. The major changes in that time was
Isibaar's new lambda code, but apparently we have hardly any logs what
happened exactly (well, we've got cvs, I'll check that).

For fast settings (no VHQ, no trellis, no chromaME, defaults otherwise):

Beta1's ME:  time 1:19 filesize 26.2MB psnr 41.19dB
Current ME:  time 1:24 filesize 28.8MB psnr 41.14dB

What the heck happened? ;_;

I suggest we postpone 1.1final until we figure this out - looks like all
speed improvements over 1.0 are gone (10% slower at these settings, 5%
slower at defaults), and 10% more filesize for *lower* quality is... bad.

Radek