[XviD-devel] HUGE ME regressions between beta1 and beta2

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Fri Nov 25 15:35:15 CET 2005

Hi Radek,

well, I've basically just changed our lambda tables. Before, the values for
lambda were borrowed from h.264 it seemed however didn't fit XviD's linear
qscale at all. In result, R-D performance especially for higher QPs was
absolutely horrible. I've changed it to a more lambda = 0.85*Q scheme (ok,
can't recall the exact constant from memory now). I've tested the change
for VHQ and non-VHQ modes and had always superior performance, sometimes
with really huge gains especially a low bit-rates/high quants.

I've attached my original mail to the list at the end of this mails and also
reposted some of the R-D curves I did at those times. Your testing case is
covered as well (it seems).

Sure we can postpone 1.1 final until this problem is fixed. BTW: did you use
a standard sequence for your test so we can reproduce the problem?

Regards,
Michael

----- Forwarded message from Michael Militzer <michael at xvid.org> -----