[XviD-devel] HUGE ME regressions between beta1 and beta2

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Fri Nov 25 17:01:28 CET 2005

Hi,

well, I'm rather confident that the current ("traditional") way finds
better vectors in ME than before, especially at high quants. What I can
imagine is that there's a larger influence on mode decision that I expected
(and experienced) in non R-D optimized mode. I've tested with lots more
sequences than just the ones I posted to the list and never had a
regression with the new code. However, I used standard testing sequences
from uncompressed input. Perhaps, mode decision with the new lambdas doesn't
work well on DVD/MPEG-2 compressed input.

That should be easy to find out: if there's no regression with VHQ>0, then
the degradation on some sequences likely comes from mode decision. That
should be easy to fix then by applying additional weights after vector
search. Also, it may explain why the problem slipped through unnoticed -
most people use VHQ I guess.

BTW: with what sequence do you test? With the same I used and you get
different results (that would be very concerning)? Or with another one?

Regards,
Michael