[XviD-devel] HUGE ME regressions between beta1 and beta2

Radek Czyz radoslaw at syskin.cjb.net
Sat Nov 26 07:50:00 CET 2005

Hi again,

Michael, I have a question: the lambda tables for 16x16 search are
different than for 8x8 search. For 8x8, they are linear:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9...

but for 16x16, there's a kink at low quants:

0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 5, 7, 8, 9 ......

Why's that?
I'm currently getting much better results for linear tables everywhere.

In other news,

The slowdown is caused by all motion searches checking many more vectors
than before. For some frames, twice as many. Apparenty diamonds like to
wander far away now.

The filesize difference at fixed quant is caused almost entirely by
b-frames being much larger than before. P-frames were same size, and are
smaller now with linear tables.

Regards,
Radek