[XviD-devel] Porting Xvid for use in a Real-Time Videoconferencing System

Skal skal at planet-d.net
Wed Sep 14 10:41:06 CEST 2005

	Hello Michael,

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 22:57, Michael Weiss wrote:
> I am taking a real-time embedded systems graduate class at a
> university.  A partner and I are planning on developing a real-time
> videoconferencing system, and we'd like to employ MPEG-4
> compression.  The Xvid codec looks wonderful, and I would like to
> begin studying it to see if it will be feasible for me to port it to
> VxWorks, the Real Time OS that we will be using.  I would like to
> solicit any comments or assistance you may be able to offer.  For
> example, does it sound very difficult, too time consuming for a
> semester project, do you have any experience VxWork?, what is porting
> this code liable to be like? , etc.

	I don't know anything about VxWorks system, so i
	couldn't say. Any quick doc pointer for a short
	description of VxWorks?

> I tried an experiment where I took an input stream off the net that
> claimed to be YVU12 and encoded it using the xvid_encraw.  Then I
> tried to play it back with the Quicktime and Real players, but they
> didn't recognize it as a valid MP4 file.  Any ideas on that?

	Output of xvid_encraw is a raw MPEG4-ASP video stream ('m4v').
	You have to mux it into the proper container in order
	to play it with Quicktime and RealPlayer. May i suggest
	you get use to the mighty Swiss Knife known as 'ffmpeg'?
	It could prove useful for your project, undoubtedly.
	In particular, you can mux your raw output into AVI
	or MP4 container, using for instance, the command line:

	ffmpeg -i my_raw.m4v -vcodec copy out.mp4

	(note: the order of options is of some importance)

	hope it helps,
	bye!
Skal