[XviD-devel] XviD on Mactels again

Robert Swain robert.swain at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 01:09:16 CET 2006

Hello,

I'm experiencing some issues with XviD on OS X. A while ago I tried to get XviD
to compile using the assembly code on Intel Macs, because it will obviously
offer a significant performance increase. The method concluded was as follows...

Enter the build/generic directory in the XviD source directory, run bootstrap.sh
and (for bash) run:

$ export LDFLAGS="-read_only_relocs suppress"
$ ./configure --enable-macosx_module

Then edit build/generic/platform.inc around line 41 to read:
AS=nasm
AFLAGS=-I$(<D)/ -f macho
ASSEMBLY_EXTENSION=asm

Then make and make install as usual.

At the end of the make process, two ranlib operations fail:

ranlib: file: libxvidcore.a(timer.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: libxvidcore.a(timer.o) has no symbols

When trying to build XviD into MPlayer, even though the linking flags are
correct (-L/usr/local/lib -lxvidcore) error output in the configure log
regarding missing symbols occurs.

Is this the proper way to build the ASM code in OS X? Does anyone have any idea
what's going wrong or how to fix whatever issues there are? It would be really
good to get XviD building with ASM optimisations on Mactels in OS X.

Regards,
Rob