[XviD-devel] Serialize Xvid-AVICompressionOptions

Thu Dec 21 16:40:54 CET 2006

Hi,

In our software we create avi videos with standard Video For Windows
functions (VfW). It works well except for the xvid-codec. (
http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml ) On some machines it works, on other it
works sometime or not at all. We do not do anything specific for xvid
nor we "speak" directly with this codec. So I wonder why it does not
work. My assumption is that serializing the compression options
(AVICompressionOptions,
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms706255.aspx ) is the problem.

What we do:
Open the default avi options dialog (with AVISaveOptions) to get the
compression options. The user can select the codec there and change the
xvid settings. To make the options persistent we serialize them.

Serialize: Write "cbParms" bytes of "lpParms" to a stream. These are the
only fields that have a value when using xvid, but we do of cause
serialize all other fields too.
Deserialize: Allocate "cbParms" bytes of Memory and read the bytes into
"lpParms".

This works fine for other codecs, but not for xvid. Do you know if xvid
contains fields in lpFormat that are not serializable (e.g. pointers to
other structs)? Are there any possibilities to check what went wrong? Is
there a error logging mechanism?

Best Regards
   Steffen