[XviD-devel] I would be interested in contributing to XviD...

Robert Swain robert.swain at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 22:06:11 CET 2006

Hello,

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 20:43 +0000, Kerewin wrote:
> Dear xvid-devel,
>
> I have spent the last 6 weeks with the Koepi 30th Dec release 1.1.0 build. I
> was surprised to find that the MSVC projects were so awkward, for me anyway,
> to build.
>
> I have only just got DirectShow, DSH COM up and running, xvid.ax, compiling
> up properly for Visual Studio .NET 2005 although the rest of the code has
> been pretty straightforward.
>
> I guess what I would like to see is greater .NET support and regression
> testing so that intensive automated tests can help validate XviD builds.
> There is a seeming lack of documentation too.
>
> It is still a little amusing to see -0.0 spilling out of the benchmark
> utility. I have not investigated why as yet. There is also the issue of the
> missing debug.c file in VFW and the fact that the InstallShield project has
> not been included in the Koepi 1.1.0 build.
>
> I have:
>
> *	25 years programming experience
> *	A Computer Science Hons degree from the University of Edinburgh
> *	A background in JPEG codecs, as well as a variety of video and audio
> applications.
>
> Can I join the team?

That's a nice resume.

I'm no authoritative figure, nor even a contributor (yet), but I have
been following XviD and have actively tested it and given feedback to
some of the developers on IRC in the past and it is my view that any
good patches will be more than welcome and will be reviewed in good
time. I don't think there's any need to ask if you can join the team,
just do what you want to do and submit a patch to this mailing list.

Also, a likely reason for the MSVC projects being so awkward to use
could be that many people develop in non-Windows and even those who use
Windows are not limited to MS tools. The likes of MinGW and Cygwin make
life easier (possibly ;)) for projects such as XviD.

So, welcome. :)

> Kerewin.

Rob