[XviD-devel] mencoder, B-frames, and encoding delay

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Jan 22 23:00:03 CET 2006

Hello,

I'm working on a patch for mencoder to compensate for video delay when
encoding using B-frames. libavcodec and x264 both set the encoding delay
in variables accessible to the calling program, but I was unable to find
any such variable in XviD. That might just be because I wasn't looking
hard enough, but I'm not familiar with the XviD source at all and I
don't know where to start.

Does such a variable exist? If not, I'll just set the delay manually
based on the number of B-frames specified.

For further information, here's the thread in mplayer-dev-eng:
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2006-January/039959.html
(The fix mentioned in the thread-starting message is incorrect, but a
better solution is discussed in subsequent messages.)

Thanks,
Corey