[XviD-devel] Mac OS X Mactel compilation

Robert Swain robert.swain at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 18:51:00 CEST 2006

Hello,

I've been prodding at the XviD assembly stuff as I would like to have asm
enabled on my x86 Intel Core Duo MacBook. Apple's NASM requires "-f macho" so I
added the following to the configure script just after line 4073 by looking at
the stuff above it (I'm not familiar with configure scripts):

            [dD][aA][rR][wW][iI][nN]*)
                echo "$as_me:$LINENO: result: darwin" >&5
echo "${ECHO_T}darwin" >&6
                NASM_FORMAT="macho"
                PREFIX="-DPREFIX"
                MARK_FUNCS=""
                ;;

The echo which forwards to the nasm format detection line should probably read
"macho" and not "darwin" but never mind. I don't know what the PREFIX and
MARK_FUNCS variables are for but I set -DPREFIX as without it many more errors
were apparent. The errors produced on compilation were as follows:

   L: libxvidcore.4.dylib
ld: bitstream/x86_asm/cbp_mmx.o has local relocation entries in non-writable
section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make: *** [libxvidcore.4.dylib] Error 1

I was told that some linkers are lenient on this issue but some aren't. As
stated, I would like to get assembly code working on my MacBook. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Rob

P.S. - I was using Apple's GCC and Apple's NASM in OS X 10.4.7