[XviD-devel] Two tiny points

Bernard Leak bernard at brenda-arkle.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 21:05:51 CET 2006

Dear List,
                   two things struck me as odd in the 'configure' script
- both were
present in configure.in in the 1.1.2 release of xvidcore, and I've confirmed
them as still present in the latest tarball as I write.

(a) The check on the NASM patch-level does NOT check for major or minor
version!  The major version has, as I type this, never been anything but 0,
and the minor version has been 98 for quite a long time.  I suppose you are
taking 0.98.x for granted as the version number.  It may be true (I haven't
tried to check) that no previous minor version ever got as far as patch-
level 34 (the minimum required), but surely you can't know that there
won't be a 1.0.0 along some time.  Am I missing something subtle?

(b) Apple knows how to spell 'rhapsody', which appears twice in configure.in
as 'raphsody'.  If this is a work-around for some bizarre bug elsewhere, it
should be annotated as such.  I think it' s just a mistake, though I'm
not in
a position to confirm it.

If I was in a position to verify these, I'd post a patch.  The latter in
particular
is easy to repair: the former really just requires plodding through
cut -d. -f1 and cut -d. -f2 as well as cut -d. f3 .

I hope I'm not just wasting your time with this...

Bernard Leak.