[XviD-devel] xvidcore on Solaris

apostolo@obelix.ee.duth.gr apostolo at obelix.ee.duth.gr
Mon Nov 27 15:28:21 CET 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Marco Behnke wrote:

> Hello there !
>
> I tried compiling xvidcore 1.1.0 on Solaris an received the following error:
>
> I am starting in /xvidcore-1.1.0/build/generic
>
> ./configure works fine, although it says
>
> checking for yasm... no
> checking for nasm... no
> configure: WARNING: no correct assembler was found - Compiling generic
> sources only

If you really want to use gas instead of solaris as, then just
#cd /usr/ccs/bin
#cp as as.solaris
#cp /usr/sfw/bin/gas as

> but I am not quiet sure if that is important.
>
> gmake says:
>
> ld: warning: option -o appears more than once, first setting taken
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- version-script=libxvidcore.ld
> .
> .
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> gmake: *** [libxvidcore.so.4.1] Error 1

It seems that you also need to use gld instead of solaris ld, thus

#cd /usr/ccs/bin
#cp ld ld.solaris
#cp /usr/sfw/bin/gld ld

Afte compiling the libraries, just "reinstall" the original binaries:

#mv ld ld.gnu
#cp ld.solaris ld
#mv as as.gnu
#cp as.solaris as

Now, I haven't check whether the resulting libraries are functional,
but I thing there is no reason why the should not be functional.
Regards,

Apostolos

*Apostolos Syropoulos                                          *
*snail mail: 366, 28th October Str., GR-671 00  Xanthi, HELLAS *
*email     : apostolo at obelix dot ee dot duth dot gr         *
*phone num.: +30-25410-28704                                   *
*home page : http://obelix.ee.duth.gr/~apostolo                *