[XviD-devel] Some mismatch in chroma

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Wed Nov 29 10:01:15 CET 2006

Hi Yousuf,

we don't use Vprove but instead test against the MoMuSys and MSFDAM MPEG-4
reference implementations. That said, you cannot expect bit-identical
output from two compliant decoders for the same input clip. That is because
e.g. for idct two compliant decoders can use a different implementation
with quite different error specs - the standard is not very strict here and
mainly just requests a IEEE1180-compliant idct implementation.

In result, mismatch can occur that can accumulate and exhibit noticeable
artifacts under some circumstances even with compliant decoders. So the +-5
diff your report sounds quite large but could be possible - did you observe
that the diff becomes larger and larger in-between keyframes or is it
constant? Do you see such large mismatch for I-frame only video too?

You can certainly send me your stream and yuv output too (if it's not too
large) if you like...

Regards,
Michael