[XviD-devel] fixed point multiply instead of divisions?

carlo.bramix carlo.bramix at libero.it
Wed Sep 27 23:16:16 CEST 2006

Hello,
after fixing my problem for the unsupported opcode, I was thinking about the need of the final 64 bit signed division.
Is it really required or it could be changed with a multiply with the inverse of the divisor?
While I was going to write this message, I saw that quantize_mpeg_xmm.asm isn't using an IDIV opcode, but it already has what I'm currently suggesting.
I don't know how much big could be these two numbers, so I wonder if it could be done.

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.

PS:
Although I didn't write it previously, I would like to thank you now.
You may ask me: "Why???"
It's simple, I saw that you added my name too into the header of cbp_mmx.asm
Thanks a lot! It's really a great honor for me!
Sorry for these delayed greetings...