[XviD-devel] padding bytes in stream?

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Tue Jul 3 22:56:39 CEST 2007

Hi,

normally, the Xvid decoder should consume all the data in an AVI chunk
(without any left-overs). At least Xvid encoded AVIs are designed like that.
It could probably be different for AVIs created with a different encoder.

So it should be ok to drop the last byte of an AVI chunk if really just
this byte wasn't consumed by the decoder (then it might be indeed just a
padding byte). However, it doesn't hurt to feed this left-over byte to the
decoder together with the next AVI chunk - just it could mean a performance
penalty if buffer copy/merge operations are required for this...

Regards,
Michael