[XviD-devel] decoding without output

Michael Militzer michael at xvid.org
Wed Jul 11 11:41:21 CEST 2007

Hi,

in your example you want to fast-forward to arbitrary frames in the
stream and not just search keyframe by keyframe. In this case, the frame
you intend to jump to can have dependencies on all previous frames since
the past keyframe.

Therefore, to decode and display such arbitrary frame all frames starting
from the most recent keyframe need be parsed (and fully reconstructed). It
is theoretically possible to skip the reconstruction part of B-frames that
are not supposed to be displayed but this option is not yet implemented
in the Xvid decoder.

What you can do is to make sure that the decoder does not perform any
unneeded tasks on frames you won't display. So you should make sure that
no colorspace conversion is performed on such frames (use XVID_CSP_INTERNAL)
and that postprocessing is disabled.

Regards,
Michael