[XviD-devel] legal question about distribution of xvid

Wim Deblauwe wim.deblauwe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 08:44:37 CET 2007

Hi,

Since XviD is GPL, I need to make my application also GPL if I directly call
XviD from my application. However, in the following cases, does GPL apply
also?

1) I make the XviD installer part of my installer. Windows Media Player will
then use the XviD codec to display movies. WMP is started through my
application.

2) Same as 1) but now I just provide a download link for XviD so they have
to get it of the internet and not the actual codec.

So I never call XviD directly, but I start a media player from my
application that does.

kind regards,

Wim