[XviD-devel] legal question about distribution of xvid

Wim Deblauwe wim.deblauwe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 15:40:13 CET 2007

Are you sure about this? This is what the faq says:

Can I distribute Xvid together with my proprietary program?

If your program calls Xvid functionality upon run-time it's a derived work
and hence, the terms of the GPL apply to the work as a whole including your
program. So no, you cannot distribute Xvid together with your proprietary
program then. If you want to distribute, you'll have to publish your program
under the GPL as well. That also requires e.g. the provision of the full
apps source code. Refer to the GPL license text for more information.

Vigilog - an open source log file viewer: http://vigilog.sourceforge.net
Blog: http://www.jroller.com/page/Fester