[XviD-devel] Subtle modification to codec

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 21:02:16 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 10/26/07, Alejandro V.N. <anvillarroel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to know if someone can help me with the following requirement:
> I would like to modifiy the codec in a very simple way (maybe change the
> header or the order of some bytes) in order to encode some video streams
> (that will be saved on a file). By doing this I'm expceting that this video
> files won't be played in using the normal xvid codec, unless I install this
> modified codec.

Depending on what you are after, a very easy way to do this is to
alter the 4CC to a custom one.
you can do this with mencoder and its "-fourcc" option.

The good thing is: it's totally reversible, and trivail.
The bad thing is: it's very trivial, so it won't fool experienced users.

Guillaume
--
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.
 -- Napoleon Bonaparte