[XviD-devel] Fw: libxvidcore compiling

Stephan Assmus superstippi at gmx.de
Tue Apr 8 13:04:41 CEST 2008

reno reballos wrote:
> another thing is, what shall i do to keep my stream out of fast play
> back? shall i contain it to a media container like AVI/ASF or WMV? what
> advantage shall i get when i contain it to video format container?

The advantage is that you can put multiple streams into it, and that the
container knows where "chunks" in the file begin and end. I think you
should probably google this stuff or look it up in Wikipedia. You need to
understand what chunks are first and why they are useful and needed. Only
then can you understand what I told you earlier about your network protocol
controlling the chunks.

> also, when i change the resolution of my video lower than 320x240, the
> output stream of the xvid encoder is distorted when i try to play encoded
> stream? what causes this thing to behave this way?

I have no idea. I wrote an xvid decoder plug-in for Haiku, but not en
encoder. So I have no experience with that.

> is it really normal, that the output of the xvid encoder plays back
> 3times faster than the normal playback? if no, what factors affects to
> this?

Like I have been trying to tell you in my previous messages, it is probably
a problem of the Player you use, which doesn't know the playback framerate
if the stream is not embedded into a container. From what I understand, you
use these players to check if your stream is encoded correctly. This seems
to be the case, although the file size is weird. In any case, I would move
on in your application, don't worry about the playback speed in other
applications. Or do you not plan to write your own playback software for
your network streaming application?

Best regards,
-Stephan