[XviD-devel] mulithread rework

Con Kolivas kernel at kolivas.org
Wed Apr 23 11:38:06 CEST 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:48:58 Edouard Gomez wrote:
> Quoting iibot <iibot at gmx.at>:
> > Actually there are a few knobs to tune now that it is not burning cycles
> > to extract more useful work for the CPUs.
>
> Parallizing complete BFrames encoding could help too.
>
> BFrames are often stacked until two reference frames are available, and lot
> of times XviD stacks at least two BFrames when max_bframes>=2.

Now that would definitely help, and for the brief moment that there are X
bframes available, it could scale to almost X CPUs, so if you have a bframe
heavy stream it would help a lot.

Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of xvid's B frames because I prefer the
quality to be ~constant and once the PB quantisation ratio is 1, the B frames
provide no bitrate savings in all my testing, in which case, higher
quantisation P frames have the same effect. Also I have single frame advance
issues from my windows counterparts when I make avis on linux with b frames.
So I usually make xvids with max_bframes=0.

--
-ck