[XviD-devel] mulithread rework

Bill Mccormick billmcc64 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 15:53:14 CEST 2008

This is kind of a newbie question, and I readily admit I don't
completely understand the details of the encoding process.

If you want to do the frame encoding in parallel on n processors,
wouldn't it be ideal to tessallate the frame into n pieces?   For
example if you have 4 processors then split the frame up into 4
quadrants and make each processor responsible for 1 quadrant.

For inter-coded frames all 4 threads could share read only access to
the reference frame(s).   Statically create 1 thread per processor to
perform encoding so you don't waste time with thread
creation/destruction.    Maybe there's a final thread to consolidate
the 4 quadrants into a complete frame if necessary.

I'm sure I'm missing something, what is it?

Bill

--
Bill McCormick