[XviD-devel] Fw: Fw: libxvidcore decompression

Stephan Assmus superstippi at gmx.de
Thu Apr 24 12:27:25 CEST 2008

reno reballos wrote:
> Hi Master Stephan Assmus,
>
> thank you for the very comprehensive reply... thank you for the effort
> you put up in replying to my email...
>
> <I am not sure what you mean by "output stream"
> ---"output stream", what i mean is the output stream of this structure
> xvid_dec_frame.output.plane[0] = output_stream_buffer<---- decompression
> output, in here i got no value but "IIIIIIIIIIIIII", one thing that i
> noticed in here is that when i include the xvid_dec_stats_t structure i
> dont have an output.. why it's happening this?

You did not commented on my point that you might have to call xvid_decore()
*multiple* times until you can use a frame in the output buffer. See my
other mail. Are you calling xvid_decore() multiple times in a loop and
feeding it new data, checking the decoder stats after each time to see if
you have decoded the first frame successfully?

> unlike the encoder , when i execute the encoding i got an output from
> this structure frame.bitstream = output_stream;<----compression output,
> in here i got an output
>
> i just wanna refresh my question previously,  the situation is this, i
> will be  compressing video stream which has the resolution of 320x240 to
> have an output color space of RGB 24 bits,the question is, how can i
> calculate out from the above details the size of the compressed video?
> normally if i have the above information of raw video i will have
> 320*240*3 size of uncompressed one frame, how about for the compressed
> frames how can i calculate in advance?

Oh, I thought you wanted to calculate the uncompressed frames requirements.
For the compressed stream, it is a function of how you setup the xvid
encoder. It will try to come as close as possible to the bitrate you
specify. In another words, you tell xvid how big the output will be, in
laymans terms. I guess it is clear that the smaller the output, the worse
the quality.

Best regards,
-Stephan