[XviD-devel] GPL Violation -- GameCam

Mike Bassett mbassetteq at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 2 00:36:14 CEST 2008

There isn't much information coming out from the GameCam developers about this, I did write to ask for the availability of the source code, but got no reply.  I guess it's up to you IP holders to decide if its worth persuing with the FSF or whatever.

This commercial software contains your code. To confirm this, head to www.planetgamecam.com and download the trial.  Then open any DirectX or OpenGL game, you should see a GameCam 'window' appear.  Now attach a debugger to the game process, and view the loaded module list.  You'll see two *.tmp files loaded in the game's address space... ModLoad: 52000000 5226e000   c:\users\mike\appdata\local\gctmp\~e9a4.tmpModLoad: 1c200000 1c2b3000   c:\users\mike\appdata\local\gctmp\~fbfc.tmp Now, point your disassembler at the larger of these two files (it's around 2MB), and search for the XviD string... .rdata:521DACA0 aThisSoftwareIs db 'This software is derived from the GNU GPL XviD codec (1.1.0).',0Ah.rdata:521DACA0                 db 'Your software distributor has to give access to its source code.',0Ah Hope this helps, Mike