[XviD-devel] Decoding stream

reno reballos rreballos at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 12:46:44 CEST 2008

Hi Michael,

thank you for the very comprehensive explanations and suggestions... i'll take this into considerations...

furthermore, i am currently using xvid codec in my application as a compressor and decompressor
however, whenever i pass the compressed data (basically consist of one compressed frame)
to the decoder, the decoder always has this 28 bytes size as a decompressed data for the first loop but for the second loop of the decoder, the decoder takes all the remains of the curent frame to be decoded. in addition to this, based on my observations this is always what happens with the example xvid_decraw (first decoding loop the decoded size is 28 and the second decoding loop will decode all). what is the basic concept in the decoder (xvid_decraw) why it behaves this way, because for me what i am expecting is the compressed frame will be decoded right away as i feed them to the decoder without going to second loop. just like the xvid_encraw behaves (one time feeding the data and data is compressed).

while i am examining this situation i had a time to save the compressed stream to file just raw as it is with the file format .m4v and my encoder settings were configured to have series of  I P P B I P P B.... output compressed frames and play the compressed file using VLC player and it plays very well with that media player, but how come it does not play with Windows media player in which i have already installed the xvid codec into my system?

and lastly, please allow me to have the pleasure of asking (hehehehe) from you since i believe you can give me more inputs and concepts to this question this is with the consideration of transmitting the compressed frames over the medium--the network itself, why when sending P and B frames over the network and decode it at the receiver computer it does not decode at all even though i have transmitted first an I-frame to have reference frame for the decoding for the successive P and B frames? but when i do it locally (encoding and decoding on same computer) it does decode as i expect it to be, but why it is not behaving as it is when transmitted over the network as i am expecting it to behave just like doing the encoder and decoder locally?

thank you for sparing me time and knowledge... looking forward to hear from you...

regards,
reno