[XviD-devel] xvid decompression

reno reballos rreballos at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 10:39:12 CEST 2008

----- Original Message ----

From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi at gmx.de>
To: xvid-devel at xvid.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:19:28 PM
Subject: Re: [XviD-devel] xvid decompression

Hi Stephan,

thank you for your prompt reply... i am enlightened by your answer.... thank you and i would would like to have follow-up with your answer to my question if you wont mind....

>Yes, you can have multiple instances of the decoder. You can call
>int ret = xvid_decore(NULL, XVID_DEC_CREATE, &xvidDecoderCreate, NULL);
--- in my application i have at least five decoders, thus i have to create also 5 different decoder instances and 5 different decoder handle, then, with this situation that i have 5 decoders decoding at the same time, will it not affect the system performance, because right now i have lagging problem when the conference over TCP/IP are full, i mean there are 5 people are in the conference...

by the way, to give you a brief description with my application on video conference, raw video is 352x288 at 30frames per second, 16-bit RGB, the output of xvid encoder is also RGB 16-bit, the video conference is 1:4, thus in one computer there is one xvid encoder and 4 xvid decoders that will run simultaneously during the process.

when decoding the frames at the receiver, one thing that i noticed is that, decoder does not decode if it is a series of I P P I P P I P P... ? coz when i set the encoder to XVID_TYPE_AUTO so that i can have a series of I P P I P P...., the decoder at the other side gets trouble when decoding, thus i have to set it always XVID_TYPE_IVOP, in effect i got still big amount of data after compression at around 6000bytes...

is it safe to use multi-threading in the decoding process? will it not cause lagging problem?

looking forward to hear from you....thank you...

regards,
reno