[XviD-devel] Several XVID questions

pross@xvid.org pross at xvid.org
Tue Mar 11 09:28:43 CET 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 09:07:48PM -0700, Brad O'Hearne wrote:
> I'm still reading source code, and I wanted to ask several questions
> about the codec:
> 1. Does XVID have the ability to decode the audio stream within the
> file (i.e. not just video).

No, its just a video encoder/decoder.

> 2. Does XVID allow random access -- sorry, I don't know any other way
> to say it -- ultimately what I'm looking for is the ability to do
> rewind / fast forward functions in a player.

Xvid is a video codec. Containainer-format (file-level) operations,
such as seeking, are outside the scope of the xvid project.

> 3. Does XVID have any facilities for working with different display
> resolutions of video -- what I am looking to do with be able to adjust
> rendering size.

Please reframe the question. If yout mean to ask, do xvid support scalable
video resolutions, then the answer is no.

> Forgive my newbie knowledge of Xvid -- the building blocks seems to be
> pretty slow going, given not much more than source code. :-)

No drama. Questions are welcome.

-- pete