[XviD-devel] xvid encoding bug?

reno reballos rreballos at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 15:14:01 CEST 2008

Hi Masters,

I just wanna share this with you, i am encoding video stream directly from my web cam and i can encode the stream into file already and i even can play back the file encoded using xvid CODEC, but now one thing that i noticed in the encoding process is that, when i reached the 150 frames of encoding, the play back of the encoded file becomes crazy, in effect the playback is like fast forward, i mean lots of dropped frames, thus many frames were not written into file... is this a bug? or i am just having mis management of the buffers, but i release the buffer every loop that i have, therefore my process of encoding and writing to file would be like this...
1. grab data then store it to buffer
2. encode the data from buffer using xvid
3. write the encoded data
4. finally empty the buffers.
5. then back to process #1 till #5, looping through so long as i wanted to encode from my web cam

i wonder why it behaves this way... isn't it that the encoder is being overflowed  by the rushing of data? or something else which i dont know as a beginner?

please if anyone has got idea please share..i would gladly appreciate it...
have a good day ahead...

best regards,
reno