[XviD-devel] Multi-threading and Real-Time

Sébastien ANDRES s.andres at hizkia.fr
Wed Oct 8 16:10:45 CEST 2008

Hi,

We developed an video application using c++ and OpenCV. This application
can capture up to 4 videos cameras.
We use the cvCreateVideoWriter from OpenCV to write xvid avi files.

On core 2 duo with two 1280x960 cameras : no problems.
On core *Quad *with two 1360x1024 cameras : there are corrupted avi files !

The application is multi-thread and writes two avi xvid files
simultaneous in different threads. Does xvid codec is thread-safe ?!
Could it have problems with 4 cores and not with 2 cores ?!
Could 1360x1024 resolution cause problems ?

I have found a bug on OpenCV which cause cvCreateVideoWriter to return
error if we call it more than once. I must add CoInitialize in
cvCreateVideoWriter function and I can now record two avi simultaneous.
Do you think another problem in OpenCV library ?

Thanks.

--
Sébastien ANDRES

Société HIZKIA