[XviD-devel] xvid

Stefan De Laere stefan.delaere at dzine.be
Thu Jun 18 14:29:38 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm currently experimenting with xvid 1.2.2, and an AXIS 209FD network
camera. I'm receiving the video stream over the network using RTP-MPEG4
elementary video, and I feed this stream to the xvid decoder.

What I observe is that I-frames are correctly decoded, but P-frames are
decoded with artefacts, some kind of smearing, blurriness. Each time an
I-frame is displayed, the video is sharp and then all following P-frames
create blurriness and artefacts.

If I change the resolution of the camera to 320*240, the problem
disappears an xvid is decoding the elementary stream without problems.

Some questions:

Is 640*480 a resolution which is allowed in MPEG4 Simple Profile or
Advanced Simple Profile?

Is this a known problem ?

Are there any settings that need to be changed in order to get a good
picture ?

Is is possible that the MPEG4 produced by the axis camera is not fully
MPEG4 compliant ?

Where in the xvid sources should I look If I want to solve the problem ?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan