[XviD-devel] multithreading

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 18:14:50 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Radek Czyz<radoslaw at syskin.cjb.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  > How much work is a second API for non-VfW systems and an encoding
> scheme like I suggested for quantized encodings?
>
> There is a better way, "just" do what x264 does. It scales very well and
> allows for some really interesting stuff (like trellis-based frame
> decisions).

Trellis-based frametype decision doesn't actually require any
particular threading model; it only requires that you have frametype
decision totally separate from actual encoding and motion estimation,
so that you can do the former however you want without affecting the
latter.

I don't recall off the top of my head if Xvid uses x264-style
lookahead or lavc-style lookahead (the latter being the one where the
encoder uses the same motion estimation for both frametype decision
and actual encoding).

Dark Shikari